czwartek, 30 lipca 2020

River Project - Second Leg - Laurier Park to Capilano Landing

28 July 2020


For the Second Leg of my River Project I was joined by the Most Excellent Peter Yuca. This leg was shorter - only 16 km, which took us, with very relaxed paddling, 3 hours.




In fact, Peter was so eager to go, that he was already in his kayak when I arrived. From the very comfortable boat launch, we were expedited with the help of my son, Maciek.


The very nice aspect of this leg is that you can see our beautiful city from the river.


First we passed Hawrelak Footbridge.


Then Groat Road Bridge, which is being widened.


High Level Bridge is always nice to watch because of the passing LRT trains. Pity, because of COVID, there was no tramway this year.




Centennial Bridge is another impressive structure.


Wherever possible we were staying in the shade - it was around plus 30C that day.



Very impressive is naturally the panorama of the Downtown.


One must only try to stay away from this kind of outposts. It can become a bit smelly.



Around James MacDonald Bridge, a couple of years ago, we were checked on by the police on ... jet skis! Not this time. In fact, we only met one other party on a canoe.


This impressive bridge, which, I understand, will serve as both LRT and footbridge, appears almost done.


There are only a few meters to go.


Although I was very impressed by its modern structure ...


... passing under it made me a bit uneasy.



Shortly thereafter, Peter went to chase a few seagulls ...



... while I was busy chasing young women! Darn, will it ever end? :-)



Then came Dawson Bridge ...


... and very impressive Capilano Bridge, which gave us momentous, but very appreciated relief from the sun.


Finally, at 50th Street Footbridge, it was time to disembark.



Not wanting to wet our feet - I guess this desire for comfort comes with age - we waited a few minutes, in the shade (!), for my son to arrive.


With such a fine companion, I am pretty sure, the Third Leg of the River Project, from 50th Street to Fort Saskatchewan, will also be a great adventure. We would like to do it in early August. Stay tuned!

(PR)


1 komentarz: